The 'VPN' thing

DougYule

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
This morning we had a powercut while I was using the site. When I tried to chat again it said I was using a VPN - which I wasn't. I've submitted a request, but I now remember that the last time this happened I was bumped for a year (till I got a new laptop)! Anyone ever had this problem and how long did it take to resolve!? I've developed a couple of friendships with people on here and have no way of telling them what's happened!

Firefly

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Use the forum more! It is one possible safety net against chat issues.
Hopefully the chat issue will be resolved quickly. Message admin directly if you think they may not have seen your report.

I also recommend having a chat email, just a tossable email for emergencies. If you have established a deep enough friendship here, it is useful to have a back-up, but still anonymous contact. This is a free site...you can't always guarantee things will go to peaches.

DougYule

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Use the forum more! It is one possible safety net against chat issues.
Hopefully the chat issue will be resolved quickly. Message admin directly if you think they may not have seen your report.

I also recommend having a chat email, just a tossable email for emergencies. If you have established a deep enough friendship here, it is useful to have a back-up, but still anonymous contact. This is a free site...you can't always guarantee things will go to peaches.
Very helpful reply thanks

Firefly

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Other things about the VPN thing.

Clear your cache/history etc.

Switch into incognito (or whatever it is called on your browser), then switch out again and clear your cache again.

Try a different browser.

Try the unplug/plug in thing (ie turning your device/router/wifi completely off and on again)

Sometimes it is some mystery in one of those places (it could be that the power out did a little mischief in your connection box, that giving it a proper reset will help resolve) that causes the miscommunication when your device and the site try to shake hands.

Back