The First Rope Bondage Tie

Koala

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
@Adie I just realized that my silly comment might be perceived as judgmental. Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for sharing so I can learn more. I think that several of the pictures are so beautiful that I get curious about the mental aspect of bondage.

R

Robbils

@Adie I just realized that my silly comment might be perceived as judgmental. Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for sharing so I can learn more. I think that several of the pictures are so beautiful that I get curious about the mental aspect of bondage.
Would love to try, on the list

Adie

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Japanese rope-tying is more than bondage - Shibari: Japanese Rope Bondage is not for learning proper belay techniques, although both activities use suspension. Originating in 1400s Japan to bind and torture captives of war, Shibari has evolved into an art form where a rigger uses thin rope to artfully bind a rope bunny: someone who enjoys being tied up.
Alexander-Neptune.jpg
Shibari (also often referred to as kinbaku) is a form of Japanese rope bondage. It differs from Western rope bondage in a few ways: it uses non-stretchy natural fiber rope, either jute or hemp, instead of softer cotton, silk or polyester rope; it focuses on friction and wraps instead of knots; it uses the rope doubled over at the middle, a point called the bight, and works down toward the ends; and it has a deep focus on the aesthetic of the ties.
Hajime-Kinoko-HERO-11.jpg

I love the beauty of rope tying, and its astetics. More so than bdsm sexual bondage. It can be pleasing for both parties however always remember safety first a few tips for the uninitiated.

Safety for Both Partners​

• Communication is important! Know and communicate your limits, experience and ability.
  • Make sure you trust and are really comfortable with your rope partner.
  • Make sure you are both sober.
  • Always check in before the first time you play with someone — don’t assume they know what they’re doing or how to be safe. Make sure you both feel comfortable with each others abilities, and have hashed out what exactly you’re going to do before the rope comes out. Figure out and discuss ahead of time what your plan is, and what your boundaries are.
  • Know and communicate your aftercare needs (cuddles, comfort, snacks, space, etc.) before you play.
  • Have safety shears on hand just in case.
That said enjoy, practice, learn and remember...
Have fun

Koala

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation. What an interesting thing, that I honestly had no idea existed.
So the purpose is the process itself and not the end result? Do you have sex before, during or after?
Being a ropebunny is that similar to being bottom, and rigger being top? Is it correctly understood that pain is not an automatic part of it?
Sorry for the questions :-D

Stiffernow

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation. What an interesting thing, that I honestly had no idea existed.
So the purpose is the process itself and not the end result? Do you have sex before, during or after?
Being a ropebunny is that similar to being bottom, and rigger being top? Is it correctly understood that pain is not an automatic part of it?
It’s better to ask than not ..

Firefly

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
We are all bound in various ways.

For some, by making those bounds visible and physical they can explore and experiment with why they feel restricted. We can see the benefits of binding for health in yoga, where many bound poses are used to compress organs, blood flow and restrict movement allowing a yogini to explore themselves more deeply. After releasing a pose, the flow of blood and the dopamine kick are deeply healing and very satisfying.

Shibari can be very emotional. a bunny can be pushed and enjoy meditative states while putting their safety and trust fully in someone elses hands. And Riggers can explore that responsibility. It is deepening of a connection, through rope.

Adie

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
We are all bound in various ways.

For some, by making those bounds visible and physical they can explore and experiment with why they feel restricted. We can see the benefits of binding for health in yoga, where many bound poses are used to compress organs, blood flow and restrict movement allowing a yogini to explore themselves more deeply. After releasing a pose, the flow of blood and the dopamine kick are deeply healing and very satisfying.

Shibari can be very emotional. a bunny can be pushed and enjoy meditative states while putting their safety and trust fully in someone elses hands. And Riggers can explore that responsibility. It is deepening of a connection, through rope.
Great response and great pictures.
Think you answered a few of @MariDK points as well.

Adie

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for your interest.
@Firefly has made some good observations and points.
The journey is often the most pleasurable part of reaching any destination.

Kinbaku takes this skill in a more emotional and sensual direction. Centred around consensual art-making and experimentation, these practices served as a blueprint for the BDSM in 20th century Western culture.

What makes rope bondage Shibari?​

Three things.
  • It must be beautiful.
  • It must be effective.
  • It must have a Japanese aesthetic.
Sex really doesn't come into it.
For bondage sex I'd be more inclined to use other restraints there is a whole array of wrist and ankle cuffs available which would potentially make the sex more enjoyable for some one who wants to explore the buzz of being completely at the mercy of their Dom.

Always happy to answer questions or have a discussion with other members in the forum.

Best wishes & remember... Have fun

Back