male refugee in your home

andto

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Dear girls,
under what conditions would you shelter a male refugee in your home?

Firefly

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I'm not sure that any "girls" would be in a position to shelter refugee. Such an undertaking is a huge financial and social responsibility. One would need their own secure social network and the financial means to support the refugee until they negotiate their way through the system and hopefully get a positive outcome. This might entail supporting legal fees or other expenses that are necessitated by this process.

if the refugee is granted permission to stay in the country, it may be necessary to continue supporting them until they are able to work and eventually move on with their life.

There's also the huge emotional investment perhaps in learning about the refugees backstory in the reality of life in their country of origin. It is a huge emotional undertaking rescuing a vulnerable human.

It would certainly take emotional maturity to succeed in such a venture.

God bless those who do this work. They are living angels.

andto

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I'm not sure that any "girls" would be in a position to shelter refugee. Such an undertaking is a huge financial and social responsibility. One would need their own secure social network and the financial means to support the refugee until they negotiate their way through the system and hopefully get a positive outcome. This might entail supporting legal fees or other expenses that are necessitated by this process.

if the refugee is granted permission to stay in the country, it may be necessary to continue supporting them until they are able to work and eventually move on with their life.

There's also the huge emotional investment perhaps in learning about the refugees backstory in the reality of life in their country of origin. It is a huge emotional undertaking rescuing a vulnerable human.

It would certainly take emotional maturity to succeed in such a venture.

God bless those who do this work. They are living angels.
Thanks for the answer! You approached the issue very responsibly. But my question would be better understood more simply: on what conditions would you shelter a stranger in your home, how can he help you, if he has nothing but himself and he does not want to be even more indebted to you...

Firefly

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
There's nothing simple about sheltering strangers in your home.

There are way too many missing parameters from this fantasy for anyone to give you any sort of interesting or useful response.

S

Smoke39

im a bloke and I wouldn’t have any stranger or refugee in my home. So for a women to do it in my personal opinion would be taking a huge risk. The risks of what could happen is horrible to think as I say refugee or any stranger. My personal opinion not every one is bad and has alternative motives but the risk is to high especially in today’s society.

andto

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
There's nothing simple about sheltering strangers in your home.

There are way too many missing parameters from this fantasy for anyone to give you any sort of interesting or useful response.
not a fantasy, but a harsh reality )
Can you ask any specific questions so that my answers can remove these missing parameters?

S

Smoke39

Can you ask any specific questions so that my answers can remove these missing parameters?
I’ll be honest I could ask any question and you could give the right answer to every one. If people need genuine helps for a honest reason then fair play. But come on there is that small minority of ie refugees that give genuine refugees a bad name or any one across any back ground a stranger is taking a risk . No disrespect to you what so ever and if you need help I hope you find it to be in the position your in must be horrible.

S

Smoke39

Sorry if people don’t agree with me but my opinion and thought I would share.

andto

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
im a bloke and I wouldn’t have any stranger or refugee in my home. So for a women to do it in my personal opinion would be taking a huge risk. The risks of what could happen is horrible to think as I say refugee or any stranger. My personal opinion not every one is bad and has alternative motives but the risk is to high especially in today’s society.
Tens of thousands of Ukrainian girls came to England as refugees. Gender discrimination? ))) a man cannot be a refugee?

Firefly

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why has this person become a refugee?
Why do they need shelter? Are they unable to access mainline support systems in place in the UK?
How long do they need shelter?
What is their refugee status?
What sort of skills do they have?
Do they frequent adult sex chat forums and apps?
Do they have dietary restrictions that are compatible with my lifestyle?
What governmental agency or NGO am I supported by as a host/sponsor?
Are they financially independent or have skills and legal status that allow them to work?
Do they need help accessing health and wellness programs?
Do they have any community or friends or family who are also able to help them if I provide shelter?

While I have taken in the odd waif or stray over the years they have never been someone as high-needs as a refugee. They have always been very short-term and people I have a reason to trust. And this is the main hurdle for me, you couldn't pay me to take in a person I don't have any reason to trust.

In 1994 my family took in two rounds of refugees during and following the genocide in Rwanda. The first was two sisters about my age. The second a man. They come through our church. The sisters stayed with us several weeks while an aunt prepared to adopt them. The man was kind and gentle, but what I didn't know at the time was about what he had lived through. He only stayed briefly. I remember we went to mass twice, so at least he was with us Sunday to Sunday.

Firefly

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Times I would shelter a stranger:

There has been a significant natural disaster and a neighbor's (I don't know personally) home has been badly damaged but mine hasn't

Adolescent who is having trouble at home when I either know the parents or know the adolescent

Zombie apocalypse and the stranger has good skills with a rifle

My children bring the stranger home and ask me "can we keep him or her?"

I found the stranger while out on an adventure and we have now become adventure buddies.

andto

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Why has this person become a refugee?
Why do they need shelter? Are they unable to access mainline support systems in place in the UK?
How long do they need shelter?
What is their refugee status?
What sort of skills do they have?
Do they frequent adult sex chat forums and apps?
Do they have dietary restrictions that are compatible with my lifestyle?
What governmental agency or NGO am I supported by as a host/sponsor?
Are they financially independent or have skills and legal status that allow them to work?
Do they need help accessing health and wellness programs?
Do they have any community or friends or family who are also able to help them if I provide shelter?

While I have taken in the odd waif or stray over the years they have never been someone as high-needs as a refugee. They have always been very short-term and people I have a reason to trust. And this is the main hurdle for me, you couldn't pay me to take in a person I don't have any reason to trust.

In 1994 my family took in two rounds of refugees during and following the genocide in Rwanda. The first was two sisters about my age. The second a man. They come through our church. The sisters stayed with us several weeks while an aunt prepared to adopt them. The man was kind and gentle, but what I didn't know at the time was about what he had lived through. He only stayed briefly. I remember we went to mass twice, so at least he was with us Sunday to Sunday.
I am very amazed by your answer, these are indeed very valid questions. Unfortunately, I will not be able to publicly answer all questions.

Although I wrote the question without reference to any individual, in fact there is such a refugee from Ukraine. A man with a higher education, who had a good job before the war and did not want to become a refugee... this is the situation because of the war in Ukraine.

The UK government has made a very good scheme to help refugees from Ukraine. You can read about this in the description of the “Homes for Ukraine” scheme. I think most of the answers can be found in the description there. I would highlight the main points: that the government helps sponsors financially, that refugees have access to work and medical care, and that this scheme is not a route to resettlement in the UK.

And I can tell you why my question arose in this post. This refugee wrote to all the organizations (the list of which is on the government website) that help refugees find a sponsor and did not receive a response, even a formal one, from any of them. What forced him to start looking for a sponsor on his own, so the question arose, what if this sponsor was a woman?
Zombie apocalypse and the stranger has good skills with a rifle
I will ask the refugee to master the rifle, just in case...

JessYorks

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I thought the question to be slightly odd purely because this is an adult chat site.
The 18+ version of the other ukchat site.

The response(s) from Firefly are as good as you'll get I imagine. We too welcomed 2 refugees into our home from Bosnia in the 90's.
The complexity and needs of the two of them were worlds apart.

When would a woman take in a refugee when he has nothing but himself to offer? Made me think you were suggesting sexual favours of sorts were on the cards.

I couldn't tell if you were serious or if this was merely some kind of fantasy.

andto

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I thought the question to be slightly odd purely because this is an adult chat site.
The 18+ version of the other ukchat site.
The question was asked where I wanted to ask it. There is no error.
Made me think you were suggesting sexual favours of sorts were on the cards.
It’s good that this is a chat for adults, let people write whatever they think.

Thanks for the answers, I’m really interested in receiving answers of any kind.

Firefly

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I am very amazed by your answer, these are indeed very valid questions. Unfortunately, I will not be able to publicly answer all questions.

Although I wrote the question without reference to any individual, in fact there is such a refugee from Ukraine. A man with a higher education, who had a good job before the war and did not want to become a refugee... this is the situation because of the war in Ukraine.

The UK government has made a very good scheme to help refugees from Ukraine. You can read about this in the description of the “Homes for Ukraine” scheme. I think most of the answers can be found in the description there. I would highlight the main points: that the government helps sponsors financially, that refugees have access to work and medical care, and that this scheme is not a route to resettlement in the UK.

And I can tell you why my question arose in this post. This refugee wrote to all the organizations (the list of which is on the government website) that help refugees find a sponsor and did not receive a response, even a formal one, from any of them. What forced him to start looking for a sponsor on his own, so the question arose, what if this sponsor was a woman?

I will ask the refugee to master the rifle, just in case...
In which case, my conditions would be:

I live in a different home that has separable living space.
My family, immediate and extended, agree to the plan.
I have met and interviewed with the individual.
I live in the UK or country that has such a system. (I'm pretty sure the Japanese government only accepted 28 refugees, and has put them all in government housing. They aren't known for accepting outsiders, though when they do they take exceptionally good care of them)

Unless, his rifle skills are up to par....in which case some of these conditions might be negotiable

andto

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
In which case, my conditions would be:

I live in a different home that has separable living space.
My family, immediate and extended, agree to the plan.
I have met and interviewed with the individual.
I live in the UK or country that has such a system. (I'm pretty sure the Japanese government only accepted 28 refugees, and has put them all in government housing. They aren't known for accepting outsiders, though when they do they take exceptionally good care of them)
I am sure that it would be convenient for a refugee to live separately, but with the opportunity to seek help.

Otherwise, really only personal acquaintance and an interview can say something more.
Unless, his rifle skills are up to par....in which case some of these conditions might be negotiable
This reminded me of a joke: "After an attempted robbery, I bought a gun. Since then my attempts have become much more successful!"

Back